Welcome to the Learning Resource Centre
Want to learn or do more with technology? Then you have come to the right place!
Learning Events & Opportunities
- Battlesnake: The BattleSnake tournament is a multiplayer version of the classic arcade game Snake. Teams have the day to program their AI Snake and in the evening, each competes against multiple teams per round until one snake is left slithering.
- Cutthroat Gaming: Local teams will face off in a video game tournament where spectators can influence the outcome by bidding on player sabotages during live gameplay.
- Startup Slam: Startup Slam is a tech conference showcases Victoria’s burgeoning tech sector and provide insightful and informative workshops to young professionals.
- Victoria Global Game Jam is part of the world’s largest game jam event. Come join local designers, deve* lopers, programmers, artists and musicians of all skill levels to make a game from scratch in only 48 hours!
- Canada Learning Code: Technology education for Canadians with programs for Ladies, Kids, Girls, Teens and Teachers. Educational experiences cover everything from introductory HTML & CSS, to WordPress, Python, Ruby, Responsive Design, Photoshop and more.
- Django Girls Victoria: Free programming workshops for women.
- HighTechU: HighTechU is about more than just coding; it’s about empowering youth to build the diverse skills they need to succeed and thrive in the growing technology industry in Victoria and beyond.
- Kidovate is a new youth entrepreneurship experience developed by UVic’s Gustavson School of Business. Kidovate aims to develop entrepreneurial skill and spirit among middle school and high school youth by encouraging them to make and sell goods or services at a Kidovate marketplace.
- CODEanagan through learning and mentorship on subjects ranging from audio engineering and video game development to Android app development, CODEanagan will ignite imagination and aspiration among a group of young people who wouldn’t typically believe they could pursue a future in tech.
- Game of Apps is a program that guides high school students through the whole process of building apps from beginning to end. Local professional designers and developers mentor the students weekly and teach them how to use the same tools, techniques and processes as used by the industry while the students learn to build mobile apps.
- Game Dev Hack Night is the International Game Developer’s Association – Victoria Chapter’s bi-weekly Hack Night at the Bent Mast in James Bay, it’s the perfect casual environment to code and hang out with the local game dev community.
- Open Hack Victoria meet’s every Tuesday night from 6-9pm at Peacock Billiards at 1175 Douglas St. Everyone is welcome to join and you can hack on anything! Come out. Hang. Sling code. It’ll be fun. 🙂 Meetup
- HackerNest Socials: A fun, relaxed way to connect with your local tech community. Atmosphere: chill, friendly, unpretentious, agenda-free (no sales pitch), and brimming with Ultra Smart People.
- Monthly UX Socials: Meeting once per quarter to provide a space for UX professionals on the island to socialize, network and learn new skills.
- Victoria Digital Media Marketing: Share interesting projects, gain new insights, and meet people IRL.
- Victoria Web & App Developers: A group for web & mobile app developers living and working in Victoria B.C. Independent freelancers to full time developers at large companies, everyone welcome.
- UVIC Business Technology Club: Founded by a group of business students, the UVIC Business Technology Club was created to equip students with the skills and industry knowledge necessary to excel in Tech careers. We achieve this by offering workshops, learning resources and access to industry professionals to prepare UVic grads for success in Tech.
- UVic GameDev Club: UVic GameDev is a club focused on making games, whether it be professionally or for fun, solo or in teams. Game Developers of all disciplines and skill levels are encouraged to check out our workshops and presentations!
- UVic Web Design and Development Club: We are a community of students who collaborate and educate each other about all aspects of web development and design.
- UVic Women in Engineering and Computer Science (WECS): Our goal is to encourage and support gender diversity in Engineering, Computer Science, and other technical fields
- YYJ Tech Ladies: Community-driven initiatives for women in business and technology to learn, grow, and empower each other.
- YYJ Tech is a community of professionals, hackers, designers, students and anyone interested in technology in Victoria British Columbia (Canada). Please read the Code of Conduct and feel free to join the Slack Channel.
- Stack Overflow is a question and answer site for professional and enthusiast programmers.
Development Tool Training
- Instead of a traditional tutorial or webcast, GitHub Learning Lab is an app that gives you a learning experience you can actively participate in, without leaving GitHub. Our friendly bot will take you through a series of practical, fun labs that will give you the skills you need in no time—and share helpful feedback along the way.
Language Specific Training
- Talent Plan by PingCAP is a series of training courses about writing distributed systems in Go and Rust. It is maintained by PingCAP for training and/or evaluating students, new employees, and new contributors to TiDB and TiKV.
- Tour of Rust is meant to be a step by step guide through the features of the Rust programming language. Rust is often considered a language with a steep learning curve, I hope I can convince you there’s a lot to explore before we even get to complex parts.
Technology Tools and Platforms
Looking for tools to help you in your development? Check out the list of HighTechU approved tools and platforms.
- Slack is a collaboration hub where you and your team can work together to get things done.
- Rocket.Chat is the leading open source team chat software solution. Free, unlimited and completely customizable.
- Mattermost is a team collaboration and messaging hub.
- Discourse is modern forum software for your community. Use it as a mailing list, discussion forum, long-form chat room, and more!
- Flarum is the next-generation forum software that makes online discussion fun. It’s simple, fast, and free.
- NodeBB is a better community platform for the modern web. NodeBB is a next generation forum software that’s free and easy to use.
- Visual Studio Code is a source code editor developed by Microsoft for Windows, Linux and macOS. It includes support for debugging, embedded Git control, syntax highlighting, intelligent code completion, snippets, and code refactoring.
- Atom is a free and open-source text and source code editor for macOS, Linux, and Microsoft Windows with support for plug-ins written in Node.js, and embedded Git Control, developed by GitHub. Atom is a desktop application built using web technologies.
- Sublime Text is a proprietary cross-platform source code editor with a Python application programming interface (API). It natively supports many programming languages and markup languages, and functions can be added by users with plugins, typically community-built and maintained under free-software licenses.
- CodeSandbox is an online code editor with a focus on creating and sharing web application projects.
- Ideone is an online compiler and debugging tool which allows youto compile source code and execute it online in more than 60 programming languages.
- Vim is a highly configurable text editor for efficiently creating and changing any kind of text. It is included as “vi” with most UNIX systems and with Apple OS X.
- Nano is a text editor for Unix-like computing systems or operating environments using a command line interface. It emulates the Pico text editor, part of the Pine email client, and also provides additional functionality.
- GitHub is a web-based hosting service for version control using Git. It is mostly used for computer code. It offers all of the distributed version control and source code management functionality of Git as well as adding its own features.
- GitLab is a web-based DevOps lifecycle tool that provides a Git-repository manager providing wiki, issue-tracking and CI/CD pipeline features, using an open-source license, developed by GitLab Inc.
- Whimsical is the best way to collaborate on your ideas visually. Create beautiful flowcharts and wireframes with speed and ease. Focus on your idea not design, Whimsical will make sure it looks good.
- Balsamiq is a rapid low-fidelity UI wireframing tool that reproduces the experience of sketching on a notepad or whiteboard, but using a computer.
Scholarship & Awards Opportunities
Wondering what types of funding might be available for you if you are looking at pursuing education in the technology fields? Check out some of the opportunities below:
- Faculty of Engineering: Deans Entrance Scholarship is a scholarships of up to $2000. This scholarship will be awarded to students with high academic standing who are entering the Faculty of Engineering at the University of Victoria.
- BC Tech Scholarship is a scholarship of up to 3 x $2,500 for Grade 12 graduates entering post-secondary.
- STEAM Horizon Awards Are you often described as a leader, an achiever, or an innovator? Do you have limitless drive, ambition, and determination? If so, there’s an opportunity to receive a $25,000 prize towards your post-secondary education.