Grades 9-12 students in Canada! Join this free, online “hackathon” to learn coding skills and solve challenges. Prizes are up for grabs!
This hackathon is run by Callysto, a federally-funded project which teaches data science skills to students and teachers across Canada.
In this event, you’ll use coding to solve challenges. Haven’t coded before? That’s OK! Our Callysto experts will help.
Your mission briefing
Scientists have predicted catastrophic events will hit Earth soon. Humans need a new home.
You’re a data scientist on a world-wide team planning and building a colony on Mars. You’ll need to use your data science skills to help the team and humanity.
The clock is ticking…
Join the hackathon to discover and pick your data science mission!*
*This a fictional scenario, meant to spark your creativity. We look forward to seeing your solutions!
What you need to join the hackathon
- An internet connection.
- A fully-charged computer or tablet with Chrome, Firefox, or Safari internet browser installed.
- A Google or Microsoft account.
- You also need to be a Grades 9-12 student in Canada.
How the hackathon will run
Prior to the event, registrants will receive full instructions. This is an “asynchronous” event – you’ll get an overview of the instructions and then you’ll have time to work individually (or in groups, if you choose) on your challenge. If you have questions, you’ll be able to ask Callysto experts for support.
1. Wednesday, June 3, 2020: Join the launch session
In this session held via Zoom at 10am Mountain Daylight Time (MDT), we’ll go over:
- what Callysto is,
- the hackathon challenges,
- the rules,
- and how to access virtual support.
Please check your province’s time zone to make sure you join at the correct time.
2. Thursday, June 4, 2020: Work on your hackathon challenge
You’ll have the day to work on your challenge. Callysto experts will be available remotely to answer questions.
3. Friday, June 5, 2020: Submit your hackathon challenge and attend a wrap-up
The deadline to submit your challenge is 2 pm MDT. At that time we’ll also host a hackathon wrap-up session.
4. Monday, June 8, 2020: Watch your email for the winner announcement
Questions about the event
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com. Good luck to all participants!