This summer get the inside scoop on what it takes to build and market a thought-provoking word puzzle game that will help boost public literacy for millions, through the Educational Technology Assistant Volunteer position, a unique collaboration between HighTechU and Institute for Dynamic Educational Advancement (IDEA) Games, a nonprofit organization focused on boosting linguistic, scientific, and cultural literacy.
Aimed at exposing students to the world of educational technology and mobile game development, volunteers will have the opportunity to learn alongside mentors from HighTechU while supporting the launch of the award-winning game “OtherWordly”, for iOS, which is expected to launch Q3 2021.
Applications are due June 7th at 11:59pm PT.
Please review the Game Overview & Position Description (below) prior to applying for details about:
(a) Time Commitment; (b) Responsibilities; (c) IDEA Games.
Having issues with the application? Contact us by email here
Sharpen your mind, relax your soul, and showcase your vocabulary.
Enter the vast cosmos of OtherWordly, a mesmerizing word game that combines the cleverness of a crossword puzzle with the agility of a matching game. Each level has a sun containing core words, and it’s up to you to fling those core words into related orbiting words. Along the way, help friendly robots, aliens, space slugs, and other celestial creatures by harvesting life-giving energy to restore their galaxy of words.
- BOOST YOUR VOCABULARY – This peaceful puzzler adapts to your knowledge of English, with 3 language modes, making it perfect for everyone from children and non-native speakers to puzzle enthusiasts and expert wordsmiths. Learn about any word by viewing a hint, such as an example quotation drawn from literature.
- CHALLENGE YOUR MIND – Each level involves matching words with a synonym or related word while avoiding orbiting obstacles and ever-shifting letters that appear and disappear. Can you match FRUIT to A★PLE? Or FINESSE to EL★GAN★E?
- IMMERSE YOURSELF – Enjoy over 20 hours of gameplay and 180 levels while exploring 15 uniquely-themed chapters, each with its own ethereal soundtrack and helpful hero sidekick. Further challenge yourself with timed quick-association levels, antonym matches, and 3 bonus challenges per level.
As you progress, you’ll win gifts for your lovable alien and robot sidekicks (such as a cool hat or a pizza), unlock useful power ups, and unravel a deepening galactic mystery. Put on your thinking cap for this cosmic adventure.
VOLUNTEER POSITION DESCRIPTION
TITLE: EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY ASSISTANT (Volunteer)
This summer, get the inside scoop on what it takes to build and market a thought-provoking word puzzle game, while contributing to a mobile application which will help boost public literacy for millions of players. Through the Educational Technology Assistant Volunteer position, a unique collaboration between HighTechU and IDEA Games, you will experience the world of educational technology and game development through your involvement in launch of “OtherWordly” an award-winning game, for iOS, which is expected to launch Q3 2021.
PERIOD: June 14 to August 16, 2021
HOURS: 60-120 hours (Based on Availability)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: June 7, 2021 at 11:59 PM
APPLICATION FORM: surveymonkey.ca/r/edtechassistant
CONTACT: Andrew MacLean (email@example.com)
VOLUNTEER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include the following. Other opportunities may be available:
- Play-testing the beta version of OtherWordly.
- Researching Social Media for Mobile Educational Applications.
- Supporting development of in-game content including: word lists, excerpts, etc.
- Proofing and/or recording in-game voice overs.
- Reviewing and Updating Mobile Application Store Entries.
- Summarizing and reporting on your work to Lead Game Producers.
We’re looking for student volunteers who bring any of the following to this unique experiential learning opportunity:
- High-school student, or home-learner, in Grade 9-12 living & studying in British Columbia, Canada.
- Be committed to cultivating positive, safe, & inclusive learning environments for all
- Interest in casual mobile, word, relaxing or puzzle games
- Familiarly with the world of hard-core or mid-core games
- Interest in social impacts of games, like the goal of boosting literacy
- Interest in accessibility (usable by many people) and diversity (familiar to many people)
- A love of words, expression, and the minutia and twists of vocabulary
- A considerable attention to detail, and ability to focus for hours at a time
- Interest in social media
- A ready ability to express yourself, since we want to hear your feedback along the way
No need to match all these elements, but let us know in your application what kinds of interests/skills/traits you have that might make this a successful volunteer experience for you.
Based in the University of Victoria Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, HighTechU is an innovative learning community for high-school aged youth to make connections, build professional skills, and explore diverse education and career pathways related to technology.
Since 1999, the Institute for Dynamic Educational Advancement (IDEA) has worked at the intersection of technology & education. The nonprofit organization’s goal is to boost linguistic, scientific, and cultural literacy. Its programs often have a direct impact on learners, but also aims to inspire and inform the work of other developers & educators with innovative examples & implementations.
How to Apply
To apply for this opportunity, please complete the following checklist before June 7, 2021
- 30 Second Introduction
- Complete Application Form
About the 30 Second Intro
Create a 30 second recording that introduces you the HighTechU and IDEA Games team by answering ONE (1) of the following questions:
- What would you like to gain from this volunteer experience?
- What is something you enjoy about the OtherWordly game (see above)?
- How would you pitch the game to a new potential player?
You can record your 30 second video or audio with a smartphone, a computer webcam, or a camera.
Afterwards you’ll need to share your introduction by uploading to a file sharing service (i.e. Dropbox, Google Drive) or video sharing website (i.e. YouTube, Vimeo) of your choice, and sharing the link in your application form.
Important: For privacy reasons, please set your sharing settings for these files to unlisted or restricted